Miquon Matters, 12.11.17
YOUR ACTION ITEMS
- Deadline to register for Vacation Care is TOMORROW, Tues, Dec 12; low enrollment may cause closures.
- Deadline to register for Girls on the Run is Weds, Dec 13!
- Check the calendar; the student dyslexia affinity group (aka the reading-writing support group) meets Tues, Dec 12 at lunch and there’s a school-wide pajama day on Thurs, Dec 14!
- Turn in your library books before break, please!
- Note there is no lunch sale this week.
If you shop using Amazon, you can support Miquon with most purchases! Visit smile.amazon.com and choose Miquon School as your preferred organization. Then bookmark the page so you start at Amazon Smile each time you shop on the site, and Miquon will receive 0.5% of your purchase.
Spring Fair Planning!
Spring Fair is right around the corner on May 19–and it’s time to start planning! Anyone interested in helping with this PARENT-RUN event should come to our first meeting. Complete the poll so we can find the best meeting date.
Community Education Survey Results
If you answered the Community Education survey questions–thank you! We had 31 respondents and the survey results are as follows:
- You want events on parenting issues, but may have not attended past events due to schedule conflicts. We will try to give as much advance notice as possible of upcoming events.
- All the topics listed were of interest, but kids/digital devices and diversity/race were top picks.
- You have time to attend 1-2 parent ed events per year; Miquon childcare and whole-family events are helpful. Many asked for online recordings after-the-fact. We don’t have this technology right now, but we’ll look into it for the future.
- Lectures and small group discussions were top event format, with films and book groups next.
Stay tuned for more about community education events!
GOTR DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY!
Online registration is now open for Girls on the Run! Any girl in Grade 3-6 is eligible to participate. No running experience is necessary.
- Register now through Weds, Dec 13
- The season begins Mon, Feb 26
- We will meet and practice Tuesdays 3:15-4:45 pm and Saturdays at 2:00-3:30 pm AT MIQUON; the meet up location to be announced to all registrants prior to the first practice; after practice children may go to the After Care program free-of-charge until 5:00 pm (and $15 from 5:00 – 6:00 pm)
- The end of season 5k will be Sun, May 20
If you have questions, email email@example.com or call 215-540-0813 to speak to someone at Girls on the Run. You can also contact Miquon parent Carolyn Seplow by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 215-242-8448.
Use code: “miquon” to receive a $125 registration discount at checkout. A huge, heartfelt thanks goes out to Miquon parent Holden Comeau and SilverLine for subsidizing the registration cost for all Miquon registrants!
EXTENDED DAY PROGRAMS
Winter Break Registration Deadline is Tuesday; low enrollment may cause Vacation Care closures!
Miquon will offer Vacation Care 8:00 am – 6:00 pm on the following dates over Winter Break, offering cooking projects, arts and crafts, nature hikes, sports games, and many other exciting activities! Full and half day registration is available.
- Mon, Dec 18 – Fri, Dec 22
- Weds, Dec 27 – Fri, Dec 29
- Tues, Jan 2
Please note we will only be open for the December dates if a minimum of six children are registered each day. Also note cancelations must be received 48 hours in advance in order to avoid being charged.
Registrations and cancelations should be sent via email to D.J. Giordano.
COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD
Watsu Woman Massage
Miquon families, looking for an unusual gift for the holidays? Julie Angel (one of our After Care program staff) has a private healing practice in Wyndmoor. She offers integrative massage therapy and a specialty in aquatic bodywork known as Watsu. She has a warm indoor pool and sessions are available for individuals and couples.
Purchase gift certificates online. Use Promo code HOLIDAY for 20% Off through Dec. 20th.
Radnor Speaker Series | Weds, Jan 10, 7:00 pm
Radnor High School Auditorium | 130 King of Prussia Rd, Wayne
Child psychologist and anxiety expert Dr. Katherine K. Dahlsgaard as this year’s Radnor Speaker Series presenter at Radnor High School in the Main Auditorium. Her must-see presentation will focus on what is normal anxiety and what is not. Dr. Dahlsgaard will leverage her experience as the Clinical Director of the Anxiety Behaviors Clinic (ABC) in the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at CHOP to help parents, students, educators and community members understand and manage today’s stresses and anxieties for school-aged children. She will explain the hidden costs of worrying about your children and introduce parenting strategies that will help families connect and thrive.
Co-hosted by The Agnes Irwin School (AIS) and the Radnor Township School District (RTSD) PTOs and PTSA.
Space is limited and seats are filling up very quickly.
Get more of Miquon! Follow Miquon on social media.